2015-2016 FOL Board
The name of this organization shall be the Friends of the Ethel K. Smith Library.
a) Vision Statement: The Friends of the Ethel K. Smith Library act as a champion of the Ethel K. Smith Library by providing it promotional, community, and additional financial support.
i) To promote the presence, resources, and activities of
ii) Through gifts, donations, and memberships, attract support and funding for programming that enhances the Ethel K. Smith Library's presence in the greater community and on campus.
iii) To serve as a medium through which Friends of the Library may become acquainted with each other, the University, and to foster an environment for sharing their enthusiasm for literature in the greater community and on campus.
Article III. Membership
Section 1. Membership shall be open to all individuals in sympathy with these purposes and making contributions according to the following schedule:
- High School Students: $20/annually
- NC/SC Public School Teachers: $20/annually
- Minister/Clergy: $20/annually
- Reader - Individual: $30/annually
- Reader - Family (member, spouse, & children 17 and younger): $50/annually
- Researcher: $100/annually
- Librarian: $250/annually
- Smith Society: $500/annually
- Lifetime: $2500 (or 5 years as a Smith Society Member)
Section 2. Honorary membership is to be approved by the Board of Directors upon presentation to the Library of unusual and distinctive materials or for outstanding services to the Ethel K. Smith Library.
Section 3. Persons who are Benefactors for five years will automatically become Life Members.
Section 4. Membership shall run for a period of one fiscal year.
Article IV. Meetings
Section 1. This organization shall hold regular business meetings in the following months: August, September, October, November, January, February, March and April, The April meeting shall be designated as the annual business meeting during which the election of officers and Board of Directors will be conducted.
Section 2. The Executive Committee may call other meetings as necessary. A notice of such a meeting shall be mailed at least ten days prior to the meeting.
Section 3. Any of the standing committees may call a meeting provided the Executive Committee is notified at least ten days prior to the meeting.
Section 4. Quorum amendment September 2008 – A quorum shall be 2/3 of those in attendance of a regularly scheduled meeting.
Article V. Officers and Board of Directors
Section 1. The officers of the Friends of the Library of the Wingate University Library shall be as follows: Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and Secretary, ex officio, who shall be the Assistant to the Director of the Ethel K. Smith Library, and Treasurer, ex officio, who shall be the Director of the Ethel K. Smith Library. These officers shall perform the duties prescribed in the Bylaws.
Section 2. The Board of Directors shall consist of the above named officers, the Assistant to the President for Resource Development, ex officio, the Chairman of the Library and Instructional Services Committee, ex officio, and twelve members elected by a majority of those present and voting at the annual meeting.
Section 3. Vacancies in all offices other than Chairman shall be filled for the un-expired term by appointment of the Chairman.
Section 4. No member of the Board of Directors, with the exception of the ex officio members, shall serve more than three consecutive years, but shall be eligible to serve again after one year. Addendum: In the event of the Board re-structuring, Board members will be given a one-time-only opportunity to volunteer for additional, rotating positions of extra yearly terms, not to exceed three years.
Section 5. Upon completion of the Chairman’s term of office that person remains on the Board of Directors for one year as Past Chairman.
Section 6. Meeting attendance is mandatory. Any member of the Board of Directors who misses three consecutive meetings, without the courtesy of prior notification to the Secretary, will be asked by the Executive Board to step down as a member of the Board.
Section 7. All members of the Board of Directors, with the exception of the ex officio members, are required to join (and maintain current status) the Friends of the Library program at the minimum membership level of “Individual Membership.” Please note:
Article VI. Duties of Officers
Section 1. The duties of the Chairman include the following:
- Preside at all meetings of the organization.
- Appoint all committees.
- Appoint and charge a nominating committee to present a slate of candidates for election at the annual meeting.
- Carry out any other duties that may be connected with the office.
Section 2. The duties of the Vice-Chairman include the following:
- Plan the program for the April meeting.
- Serve as Program/Events Committee Chair.
- Act in the absence of the Chairman and perform other duties requested by the Chairman.
- In the event the office of Chairman becomes vacant, the Vice-Chairman shall become Chairman for the un-expired term.
Section 3. The duties of the Secretary include the following:
- Record the minutes of all meetings.
- Keep a current list of all members.
- Notify members of meetings.
- Conduct the correspondence of the organization.
- Collect all dues and send acknowledgements.
Section 4. The duties of the Treasurer include the following:
- Provide a financial statement at each meeting.
- Serve as editor of The Newsletter.
- Oversee all FOL sponsored programs/events in conjunction with the Chair of the Program/Events Committee.
- Present proposals to the Board regarding FOL gifts and donations to the Library.
Article VII. Nominations and Elections
Section 1. A committee shall be appointed by the Chairman to nominate candidates to serve on the Board of Directors and as Vice-Chairman. This committee shall select an appropriate number of candidates to fill the necessary vacancies.
Section 2. The Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and Board of Directors shall be elected during the business meeting held in conjunction with the April meeting. Additional nominations may be made during the business meeting, provided consent of the nominee is obtained. All members of the Friends of the
Section 3. Because of the rotation of Board members, each year four new members (including Chairman and Vice-Chairman) shall be elected.
Article VIII. The Executive Committee
Section 1. The officers of the Organization shall constitute the Executive Committee.
Section 2. The Executive Committee shall have general supervision of the affairs of the organization between its meetings, make recommendations to the organization, and shall perform such other duties as are specified in these Bylaws.
Section 3. Unless otherwise ordered by the committee, regular meetings of the Executive Committee shall be held only when specifically called by the Chairman of the Friends of the Wingate University Library.
Article IX. Committees
All committees of the section are appointed by the Chairman and include the Nominating Committee, Program/Events Committee, and Membership Committee. Other committees may be appointed that are deemed to be in the best interest of the organization or are needed to meet a specific change.
Article X. Duties of the Committees
Section 1. The Nominating Committee’s responsibilities include the following:
- Suggest nominees for committees as outlined in the Bylaws or those appointed by the Board.
- Consult with the desired nominee prior to suggesting his/her name for consideration.
Section 2. The Program/Events Committee’s responsibilities include the following:
- Establish subcommittees
- Luncheon Committee, which will be active in the Spring only
- This subset will focus on activities relevant to the Annual Author’s Luncheon and assist the Executive Board as directed.
- Publicity/Distribution Committee
- This subset will accept the duties of advertising, publicity, and distribution for all FOL events.
- Assist the Executive Board in the recruitment of speakers for events and other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Section 3. The Membership Committee’s responsibilities include the following:
- Assist the Board Secretary in the development and culling of the Membership and Mailing Lists.
- Recruit Board members as dictated by the Bylaws.
- Recruit FOL members.
Article XI. Contributions
Section 1. The Secretary/Treasurer in accordance with University policies will deposit all cash contributions. The funds shall be kept separately by the University Treasurer and be disbursed by the University on the order of the University President, as recommended by the Board of Directors.
Section 2. All non-cash contributions become the sole property of the Wingate University Library and will be added to the collection or cordoned off to other parts of the Library as the Director of the Library Services deems most appropriate. Non-cash gifts with restrictions are generally not accepted.
Section 3. Donations not made in cash are subject to a number of tests for worthiness and value. These tests will be determined by the authority of the profession in the designation of an item in terms of certain criteria. Some of the criteria that may be used are:
- Usefulness of the material(s) to this Library.
- Content and scope of the donated materials.
- Merit of the material(s) as established by book dealers.
- Appropriateness of the donation to an academic collection.
- Ability of the Library to adequately house a rare item, or items (in terms of humidity control, climates, space, accessibility and staff.
- Value as determined by a third party.
- Condition of the material(s).
- Reputation of the author, publishers, etc.
Article XII. Parliamentary Authority
The rules contained in the latest edition of Robert’s Rules of Order shall govern this organization in all cases where they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with the Bylaws of the Friends of the Wingate University Library.
Article XIII. Amendment of Bylaws
These Bylaws may be amended by a majority vote of the Board of Directors of the Friends of the Wingate University Library.
Last Amended: December 2009