Step 1: Search Terms from Research Question
Starting Reaserch Question:
Who was Domenico Scarlatti's and what influenced his music, what style did his music possess....particularly concerning his (insert work here), and how did he influence the history of music?
Find important words, and refine ambiguous terms:
Who was Domenico Scarlatti's and what influenced his music , what style did his
music possess...particularly concenrning his (insert work here), and how did he influence the history of music?
Good Initial Search Terms:
Domenico Scarlatti, influence, music, style, (insert work here), (history of music > legacy)
Step 2.1: Get Background Information
- Overview - Gain a broad understanding of your topic
- Definitions - Be an informed reader
- Notable Names - Know the major players
- Dates & Events - Contextualize your topic
- Bibliographies - Fish those citations!
Oxford Reference Online
Finding Useful Articles in Oxford Reference Online
To find useful articles, perform the following steps in Oxford Reference Online.
- Enter your search terms in the search box located at the upper left of the screen.
Tip: You can search with specified subjects by checking the box below the search dialogue. However leaving this unchecked might allow you to find your search terms in odd places you normally would not have looked.
Interpreting your results:
Your results screen contains the number of items found in the database, limiters to refine your search, and links to different levels of item access.
- Refine your results by source type using the limiters located on the left of the results screen.
You can add boolean operations to
your search, as well as choose to see
only full-text entries.
You can limit your results by reference
type and subject area.
Choose the type of reference entries
you want to view or choose to views
entries with illustrations.
- The icon next to an item in your result set is only a citation and not avilable in full text (Ask for these items like this through ILL) .If you're looking for full text that is immediately available online, select or options in the limiters.
- Each entry will include suggested bibliographic information. Please consult the ______ before using these citations in your final works cited page.
Step 2.2: Get Background Information
Subject Specific Encyclopedias
Extensive & scholarly - Gain a more in-depth understanding of your topic
(CD-ROM shelved separately as supplement with book in Reference.)
Step 3: Gather More Search Terms
Build a list of keywords and synonyms