Step 1: Basic Search Terms from Research Question
Good reaserch question but BAD search, pick out important terms and concepts.
Discuss in detail the influences on female writers in 19th century England. Consider factors such as their families, social class, education, personal experiences, etc. How did these factors affect the writers and how is this exhibited in their writing?
Good Search Terms:
influences/factors (families, social class, education, personal experiences) "female writers" (Specific Writers)
"19th century England"
Step 2: Get Background Information
- Overview - Gain a broad understanding of your topic
- Definitions - Be an informed reader
- Notable Names - Know the major players
- Dates & Events - Contextualize your topic
- Bibliographies - Fish those citations!
Use Fetch to find online encyclopedia entries aka Research Starters for your search terms: Mary Shelley
- Wikipedia: Mary Shelley (Remember, use only for preliminary research and information from appropriate references)
Subject Specific Encyclopedias
- Extensive;scholarly - Gain a more in-depth understanding of your topic