Step 1: Search Terms from Research Question
"Explore divergent portrayals of a current event, issue, or phenomenon by analyzing the perspective represented by divergent mainstream media (i.e., media with conflicting viewpoints such as Fox News versus MSNBC), as well as content published in peer-reviewed scholarly journals or other reputable and/or empirical means."
Example topic of interest:
House Bill 2
Step 2.1: Get Background Information
- Overview - Gain a broad understanding of your topic
- Definitions - Be an informed reader
- Notable Names - Know the major players
- Dates & Events - Contextualize your topic
- Bibliographies - Fish those citations!
Step 3: Gather More Search Terms
Build a list of keywords and synonyms
Public Facilities Privacy & Security Act • An Act to Provide for Single-sex Multiple Occupancy Bathroom and Changing Facilities in Schools and Public Agencies and to Create Statewide Consistency in Regulation of Employment and Public Accommodations • House Bill 2 • HB2
"Fox News" • MSNBC • "The Atlantic" • "Scholarly Journals"