Finding Research Articles in ScienceDirect
To find scholarly research articles, perform the following steps in ScienceDirect College Edition
- Click on the Advanced Search link to the right of the magnifying glass icon near the search fields on the Science Direct (SD) landing page.
- On the Journals Tab (selected by default), type "flame test" AND detect* enclosed in double quotes in the first search box. Make sure that the boolean operator dropdown is set to AND NOT, and then enter the term retardant OR resistant in the second search box.
- Select the limiter for Article.
- Now click the Search button
On the results page you can:
- Refine your results by using filters/limiters in the left hand column.
You can filter by: Publication Year, Publication Title, Topic/Subject, and Content Type.
- Note the rectangle icons at the far right of each entry. Their coloration indicates access level.
= No Full Text Access (through SD),
= Open Archive Access
= Full Text Access
- When you click into an article that has the symbol. You'll see the highlights of the article, the abstract, and options to locate the article elsewhere by clicking on the Linksource/Full-Text Finder Icon
- In a full text article, you'll have the options to download the PDF by clicking on the Icon/link
- You can also export or save citations.
- If there is no online access, don't forget to double-check Periodicals by Title to see if the Library has a print subscription OR request the article through InterLibrary Loan.
Tip: Create a Science Direct account to create Topic, Search, or Journal/Book-Series alerts that will notify you about new publications related to your interests