Legal Research with LexisNexis
LexisNexis Academic provides superior legal research resources, such as:
- Full text of articles from law reviews and journals—more than 500 publications
- Federal and state cases and statutes, including U.S. Supreme Court Decisions since 1790
- Federal regulations, including The Federal Register, Code of Federal Regulations, and Federal Acquisition Regulations and Supplements
- Shepard’s® Citations Service—the leading citator for more than 135 years
- More than 1,500 legal newspapers, magazines, and newsletters
Database Demo: LexisNexis
To Look Up a Legal Case
Near the bottom middle of the page, click the Look up a Legal Case drop down. Then you can search for content one of three ways.
- By citation:
- Enter 465 U.S. 555 into the search box and hit the blue "Go" button
- By parties:
- Enter Cannon in the first search box and University of Chicago in the second search box; hit the blue "Go" button
Once your search has been executed, you're presented with a list of cases. You can sort cases by date, relevance, and Source Order. You can also search within results further (e.g. using 1954 as a date to clarify Brown v. Board of Education case results).
Once you have found a suitable result, click it to view the item's full content. You can also use the Shepardize option under the "Next Steps" dropdown to
The Shepardize option will show you outcomes based on your original case and where your case appears in the legal "timeline".